Today I share with you a guilty secret. Brace yourselves for some hideousness.
In the room I like to call my study (well I do read in there) is this ….
Ermm disintegrating heap of an old sofa. But wait you have not seen the full horror. Close your eyes if you are of a nervous disposition and cue music from ‘Psycho’:
Before you disown me for the lush that I obviously am let me explain. First the sob story: this was my mother’s sofa (aaaaaahhh) however she died almost 20 years ago … and she gave it to me before she died (tut, tut). Next the pragmatics: the sofa was until ‘fairly’ recently covered and the covers had (after a fashion) withstood the rigours of children and two elderly spaniels. But enough was enough and in a moment of madness/cleanliness I donned a nuclear fallout suit and whipped the covers off and disposed of them. Don’t worry you are safe.
I couldn’t however get rid of the sofa: it has sentimental value, a good solid frame and it provides a cosy nook to curl up with a yarn-y project or a good book. So recently – ok, several years ago – I decided I would re-cover it. In my head this was a perfectly formed LITTLE endeavour. The project even had a boost when super friend JG donated me some old curtains.
Plenty to cover a small settee. Surely an easy weekend make would follow in which I could sing the praises of re-cycling and making do and mending. Yet even in my pea brain something told me that this was going to be trickier than my original vision of up-cycled loveliness allowed. I stalled.
But now only three years later – I am not the Procrastination Queen for nothing – I have started creating loose covers for Omi’s sofa and here I am describing the makeover, part one of it anyhoo (let’s not go wild!). As with all good 21st century projects I started by trawling the internet. Now I don’t want to say that other’s have had it easier but every similar sofa recovering I watched seemed either to involve box type cushions and/or staple guns.
Omi’s Sofa has ‘nobbly’ shaped seat cushions and recessed arms meaning more shaping would be involved. I also did not want to staple the covering to the sofa. I want to be able to remove it for washing. I have a granddaughter! and she is second only to me as a ‘dropper’. Finally I have ‘previous’ for being lethal with a staple gun…don’t worry that child’s limp is barely noticeable now….
Suffice to say Jolly Janome and I were going to work this together with a little bit of tacking and hand sewing thrown in for good measure. I even moved my scene of operations downstairs. Ironing board too.
My first objective was to cover the seat cushions. Not being one for maths I worked by covering the foam with the fabric inside out and cutting and tacking then sewing around the ‘L’ shaped corners.
I am still using the original seat cushions and wanted to keep the covers loose enough to remove easily when, at some point in the next century, I get new foam. For this reason I put vents into the side seams.
This called for some tricky pinning and tacking but I am pleased that the vents afford easier removal.
The almost finished cushions are a wee bit lumpy bumpy thanks to the old foam but I am happy that they turned out a matched pair and I hope you agree that already Omi’s old sofa is vastly improved.
For now (another three years?) I have thrown the remaining curtaining over the settee and as I had already crochet covered the back cushions by adding a row of patchwork cushions (thank you KS for the beautiful blue one) the sofa has a new lease of life.
But I must dash. I have a cosy nook to sit in and that Ann Cleeves thriller will not read itself.
Until next we meet,
PS the rug was knitted with jumbo needles using selvedge yarn. In case you wondered. Mx
I too am making covers for my sofa and have been at it for three years. In my defence, they are all being crocheted, so it does take time. To date I have made covers for the five large cushions that sit along the back and a cover that drapes over the back of the sofa. I am currently working on a cover for the seat cushions and it is nearly finished. Covering the arms is going to be tricky and I haven’t worked out how to do it yet, but at least crochet is stretchy, so I don’t have to be as clever as you have been.
Glad I am not alone! But as you say it is a long process, especially if you are crocheting the whole sofa. That is brilliant. I only crochet covered the back cushion but then I had used up a lot of my stash (yippee) so I expect you will have the added complication of awaiting wools. It was a god-send being given the curtains. I am tackling the body of the settee using the same inside out fabric method. I might add some panels made with patchwork …. but now I am getting carried away again! Take care. Mx
I like the patchwork idea… and those curtains you were given have been brilliant. I have to confess, with the wool, the early parts were made in DK, but I have progressed on to aran for speed… I may be up to super chunky by the time I get to the end!!
… my stitches have been known to get looser …. Mx
Wow! What a transformation… It looks great (and no-one will know what it’s like underneath!!), I also love your little house pin cushion.